Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Octopus Pretzel

For our cooking activity this week we created an octopus out of homemade pretzels. We had a lot of fun. I love this recipe, I have had since I first learned how to make it in kindergarten class. Yes, that is right, this is the same recipe that I learned how to make pretzels when I was five.

Ingredients:
2 1/2 C whole wheat flour
2 1/2 t sugar
2 1/2 t yeast
10 T finely shredded cheese
1 C warm water
(1 egg & salt for later)

Mix all the ingredients together until it forms a soft, but stiff dough - try not to over knead. Usually a bit of the four does not mix in and I use it on the counter for rolling.

Next roll out the dough into your desired shapes - we have tried it all: pretzels, balls, shapes, mini muffins and they all work great.



Once you have all the dough formed, brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with salt.


Bake @ 425 degrees until golden brown (definitely want it brown otherwise it will be doughy)



One delicious treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment